Monday, April 25, 2011

R.S. Night: Spiritual Strength

Spiritual strength is another type of self-reliance we can develop.  Where do you turn for your spiritual strength?  We were touched by a few musical numbers.  There were three solos, each sang or played a song that portrayed their testimony of Christ.

Musical numbers: Kim B. accompanied by Marsha W., Stephanie E. accompanied by Sandra K., Devry R. accompanied by Jolene Krahenbuhl.

Afterwards, Joanne shared about how your journal can help you to recognize the Lord's hand in your life and to show gratitude for all things. 

Quotes about Journeling:
Pres. Uchtdorf conf. quote: …simple thought attributed to Saint Francis of Assisi: “Preach the gospel at all times and if necessary, use words.”

Benjamin de Hoyos: "Even though our understanding of the gospel may not be as deep as is our testimony of its truth, if we place our confidence in the Lord, we will be sustained in all of our difficulties, our trials, and our afflictions."

Elder Walter F. Gonzalez: “The power of our covenants is greater than any challenge we face or may face.”

Elder Nelson: “Our faith now becomes part of our posterity’s faith later.” How? -Elder Eyring, 2007, “I’m not giving you these experiences for you. Write them down.”

Journaling—2 Nephi 4:15 And upon these I write the things of my soul, and many of the scriptures which are engraven upon the plates of brass. For my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondereth them, and writeth them for the learning and the profit of my children.

Can you think of any place in the scriptures where emotion is conveyed?

How can journaling be a source of spiritual strength?

“Discover Yourself: Keep a Journal” Ensign, Dec. 1980
The act of writing in a journal can help a person deal with emotional pressures. –grief work, gratitude journals, etc.

A journal can also be a tool for self-evaluation and self-improvement.

You can see the hand of the Lord in your life.

…Before I would write, I would ponder this question: “Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done…More than gratitude began to grow in my heart. Testimony grew…

Tonight, and tomorrow night, you might pray and ponder, asking the questions: Did God send a message that was just for me? Did I see His hand in my life or the lives of my children? I will do that. And then I will find a way to preserve that memory for the day that I, and those that I love, will need to remember how much God loves us and how much we need Him.

(Pres. Henry B. Eyring, General Conference, October 2007, “O Remember Remember”)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails